Visions & Earth Centeredness
Packing & Getting Here
Retreat Q&A faq's
Packing & Getting Here :: The Spirit Lands
A Safe Place to Heal and Grow
Prepare a little ahead for your retreat, then you can leave your normal cares and concerns behind, and focus on Healing and Sojourn. Check with us about climate and temperature details; the desert Southwest is magical, and weather can change rapidly. It tends to be warm during the day when the sun is up, and cools rapidly when the sun goes down. Although daily temp's are warm, it is comfortable in shirt sleeves or loose long sleeve shirt.
Evenings you might want a light jacket or pullover hoody. Always pack a broad-brimmed hat - protecting yourself from the sun is essential.
Pack like you're going camping and you have to carry or pack everything. Make a list of your prescription medication and any medical dietary requirements. Include your emergency contact information on your person and in your luggage. You'll be asked to disclose prescription and medical requirements ahead of time.
Remember the rapid desert temperature changes as you pack. Be prepared. Your length of stay will affect the amount to pack, however there is an on-site laundry room so don't over pack! Keep it simple yet complete.
If you're doing remote wilderness skills and preparedness, you will be asked to bring additional items, as you'll be on overnight bivouacs engaging in a variety of activities. Some remote hermitages also include overnight bivouacs. For sacred place sorties and retreats with spiritual Healing, most of the notes below apply. In the cooler season add warmer gear and check with us.
* Bedroll - Sleeping pad (foam pad or wool Indian blanket), light sleeping bag or equivalent. Small pillow or use wadded up clothes
* Lightweight Hiking Boots with good traction if you plan hiking
* Sneaker nikes walking shoes that are water worthy
Casual Comfortable Clothing
* A pair of dickies or jeans (comfortable long pants) for walking and lounging
* 1 pair of shorts
* 1 loose-fitting lounge outfit
* Long-sleeved tshirt, short-sleeved tshirt, casual top
* Good cotton/poly athletic socks, and a pair of light wool boot socks for hiking
* Personal under things, robe, and 1 swimsuit (for hikes and Gila Hot Springs soaks)
Outdoor Clothing - Depending on Season
Layers function well. The desert Southwest has more wind and sun than other regions.
* Wide brim hat for sun protection is required year round. Straw Western hats like Stetson and Resistol work fine, also broad-brimmed sun hat styles.
* Sunglasses are suggested for high glare direct sunlight. Keep in mind letting light and sun into your retinas is necessary for a healthy mind and body. Consider a pair of clear glasses in addition to shades. They allow natural light but cut some glare.
* 1 lightweight outer jacket (wind blocker)
* Consider lightweight work gloves (protect your head and hands when working or travelling outdoors)
* Day-pack / rucksack
* Light rain poncho (especially in monsoon season July and August)
Cooler Season Gear
Check with us for details
* Light weight hikers for the feet
* 1 fleece or poly lined jacket
* Thermal underwear
* Wool knit cap and light leather work gloves (protect your head and hands when working or travelling outdoors.)
* Toiletry bag, Rx medications, herbal remedies, camera, Journal and writing utensils
Consider leaving these things behind
Out of consideration to those around you, and your own inner peace, we recommend omitting the following items ::
** All electronics, planners pads tablets, cell phones, perfumes, and synthetic hair or body products (some of our guests are sensitive to strong perfumes), aerosols, valuables (bring only the jewelry that is needed.) Plan your sojourn for Healing; if you carry on your over-stressed too-busy lifestyle from somewhere else, will you Heal to your maximum? There is a telephone in the Retreat house and close by towns.
Transportation & Getting Here
Fly into the nearest ABQ airport. Either arrange shuttle service to the Retreat or rent a car. America West or Southwest Airlines schedule frequent flights into ABQ. Shuttling is recommended, if only to maximize your on-Earth contact while retreating, relaxing, and Healing. Once you have booked your transportation in, please send us your itinerary. Arrivals are anytime and departures normally are in the a.m.
Nestled in the mystic and deeply spiritual transition zone from the Gila Wilderness and uplands Chihuahuan desert through the ancient lands of the Pueblo and Apache, good medicine Peace and Solitude is yours in the open expanse of The Spirit Lands. Solace and Healing await you!
Email :: love (a) thespiritlands (dot) net
Phone :: TBA
Email for detailed information!